Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks From Rouen ~ 11.27.08

We are here in Rouen and thinking of everyone we love on Thanksgiving.
We are thankful and we miss you.




LOVE IS IN THE MUNDANE DETAILS




The Rouen sky has a crush on me and shows off each time I look up. I'm grateful and empty handedly humbled. The sky wants nothing from you here. Just your attention. I can PAY attention. It's the best kind of currency, don't you think? - and I am thankful.






SEE WHAT I MEAN??

When I call across the world, to chirp with some of my favorite people in the whole world, it sounds like we're right next door to each other. - Thank you technology brainiacs for making it all possible, despite my skepticism, I love the phone and the computer.



We live on 1300 euros a month and I still feel like a feasting velvety queen every day of my modest life - Thank you for the good life despite the challenges.



My ears stick out like little satellite dishes and the frigid Normandy air bites them if I am without a hat, but when I walk inside our apartment and all three electric heaters are cranking, I could not be happier - Thank you heater people who give electricity to us.

I married my best friend on the planet and I'm madly in love. He is the funniest, smartest, most gentle, brilliant, forgiving, patient, complimentary, athletic, graceful, well rounded, artistic, sincere person I have ever met in my life. - I am beyond grateful everyday to share a life with him. - Thank you Italian Mati.




Every Saturday and Sunday morning, we have the strangely masochistic pleasure of rowing on the Seine River in France! The boathouse is the second oldest in France but I bet its the most beautiful and afterwards we eat Pan au chocolate and Quiche Lorraine -Thank you Mr. Bakery Man and the nice toothless girl who helps me every time I go in - Bon Soir et Merci, Merci beaucoup.







Our French Press, The Bright Red Soup Pot that always beggs for veggies and The Yellow Water Carafe I found at the Sunday Market - I give thanks for the good belly filling assistants in my world.








The Butter Tower beacons and beckons day and night wherever you are, whoever you may be. - Thank you for landmarking my journey here, beautiful Monet painted Cathedral.






To the man who plays the accordion from the depth of his big heart with frigid fingers and a big love and who plays the most quintessentially French music. He has passed his love for his city to me through his music in the Cathedral Square. He makes eye contact with me and we both smile a thankful smile....me for him and his being the best French outdoor city host and he for me, emptying my pockets of everything I have to show my thanks...Thank you, Mr. accordion, man..thank you for making my day beautiful.


Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

About Me

Two Americans, best friends, share life, love and discomfort in a quiet Normandy city.