Saturday, September 6, 2008

"Vous Etes Ici"



The first 2 weeks of life in a new country.
"Vous Etes Ici"
You are here.
That's what the map said.

Phille to Charles De Gaulle, Paris

Paris to Hotel Batingnolles

Hotel Batingnolles to Chantelle's house.

Chantelle's House to Gerard's house.

Gerard's house to Eric's parent's house in the countryside.

Countryside heaven to Hotel Rebaucha freaking somethin or other.

Hotel blah blah french sounding R to our new Apartment on rue Des Bons Enfants.
The Street of Good children.



The following is an excerpt from my journal entry on one of the days we were travelling, giving a more visceral depiction of our experience.

From 8.19.08
“Did we die and go to heaven?”
“Are we alive?”
I’m not actually sure what time it is
Or what day it is for that matter. Although I know its linda’s birthday.
I think its Saturday.

We’re at Eric’s parents’ house in the countryside outside of Rouen.
Who’s Eric? That’s what I want to know.
And his panents? More questions I can’t really answer.
I do know who Eric is. He is the colleague of chantelle.
Chantelle is the mother of charlotte.
Charlotte is the classmate of Matthew.
Matthew is my husband.
Now that we have that straight.
Where is the countryside outside of Rouen?
I don’t know.

We woke up this morning at Gerard’s house. Who is Gerard? That’s what I want to know. No, really. I don’t know Gerard. Well I didn’t know Gerard, that is, until last night.

Gerard is the head of the police of Bonsecours? I don’t think that’s right. But he is rather an elected official and not much of what I’m going to say in the way of who’s who and what they do will be accurate because remember that I don’t speak French just yet and so many of the things I come up with may be direct from my own imagination.

Mati can’t translate for me every second. I nod my head A Lot. And I think even mati might think I understand more than I actually do.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned the fact that when I finally am able to come up with the words to ask a question, I can’t understand the answer I’m being given. Kind of a funny catch 22 don’t you think.

Needless to say, I can hardly wait to dive into studying French. I don’t think I realized how much I enjoy a good conversation and it seems like when the people I’m around are talking, they’re saying really really interesting things. It seems like really great banter I definitely want to be a part of but I can’t.

In any case, back to where we are tonight and where we were last night. Well, last night we were with Gerard. Like I mentioned, Gerard works with Chantelle, Charlotte’s mom – who by the way, has gone above and beyond helping us with our adjustments here. We happened to end up with Gerard last night because Norbert needs a break.

Yes, I know – who’s Norbert. Norbert is the husband of Chantelle and he can’t cope having company this weekend so we must leave. Charlotte, Mati’s classmate was so very kind when I was first introduced to her back in May. A banquet was held for the French students who excelled in their studies and Mati and I attended so he could give out awards to his beginning French students who were exceptional. When we were chatting with Charlotte, we discussed our being in Rouen for the year and Charlotte so charmingly and confidently informed us that we would be hosted by her parents in Rouen when we arrived and that they would love to have us and host us and this is the way it would be.

I was taken aback by her generosity and assumed she lived in the same house as her parents. We wouldn’t be in touch with Charlotte again, however, until just prior to our arriving in paris in August. Not because Mati hadn’t tried to be in touch. He had. But certainly life was very busy. Charlotte was moving from Long Beach back to France and tying up her own loose ends. We sent word that we were coming and Charlotte let us know that she and her family would be away the weekend we were arriving and so we would stay in Paris for the weekend before coming to Rouen.

Upon reflection, I am certain, this was a much needed time to adjust from being with lots and lots of people in California – especially when we’re used to spending a lot of time alone – to being with more people – this time one’s we don’t know – in France. We arrived in Paris on Saturday morning. Its so hard to even remember now. It seems we’ve been in the country much longer than we actually have.

So where am I right now? I’m sitting right now in the quietest place I think I’ve ever been. With the exception of my feverish typing and the soft breathing of the sleeping Italian mati next to me, it is the kind of silent that begs you to whisper and walk softly everywhere you go. We are in the country at Eric’s parents who are away on vacation. We can’t believe we are here in this indescribable beauty. Its almost insulting to begin to reach for words.The lighting is perfect. Every thing is perfect. Goodnight moon....."

Yes, so above is the retracing of our footsteps from the time we left the cozy cradle of loving
family and friends in California to the time I sit in here in a new and strangely lovely country where we have been
settin up a new life to live for one year while Mati teaches English at University.

In between the lines have been breathtaking sweet land and skyscapes, troubling observations of blatant nosepickers, dog draggers, toilet flushing and other other strange bathroom issues, whole grain bread finding adventures, vegetable buying, apartment finding triumphs and tribulations.

Every minute feels like a day.

Mati understands about 60% of what he hears and I understand about 1 out of every 2000 words.

But we are here.
"Vous Etes Ici"
Just like the map said.

3 comments:

tracey clark said...

you are here indeed. : )
this is for you...i am remembering an enchanted evening in celebration of you both and of friendship.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maypapers/2843923331/

Maria G. said...

oh hi guys!
what memories you are making.....I'm sure you will reflect back one day with fond memories...longing for the days of such discovery! We send our love....Josh, Maria and the monsters!

Maria G. said...

....and......I am proud of you for your courage and the start of self discovery. It only takes a traveler to set foot on foreign soil but a true voyeger to plant themselves in a complex land. We send abundant hugs and even more kisses!
loves,
Maria

About Me

Two Americans, best friends, share life, love and discomfort in a quiet Normandy city.